For me, with a new year, comes a renewed commitment to doing more for our planet. Here are a few things I will (hopefully) do for this year. Little by little I’ve been gradually eliminating commercially-made household products from my life. Here is the list of commercial products I aim to phase out this year:
- Chapstick. I have a recipe to try, but just haven’t got around to it yet.
- Lotion. Not sure about this one, but willing to at least give it a try.
- Soap. I’ve never made bar soap before, but why not, that’s the last remaining item in the shower that’s not made by me.
- Toilet paper. I’ve been holding out on this one for way too long. Disposable paper towels and tissues have already long since been out of my life, and it’s time to move up to the next level.
- Sunblock. That stuff is full of terrible chemicals anyway. I might be better off with the sunburn. Going to try the sunhat thing (ick, I hate hats) or maybe try adding vitamin C to the lotion I make. Yeah, it’s more likely to be the vitamin C lotion.
And even though it sounds just a tad like cheating, I’ve decided that if my recipes for these things don’t work, I can get them from local artists/vendors who make their own handmade lotions, chapsticks, soaps, etc. if I need to. But I’ve gotta try my hand at making them first.
Well, there you have it. More weekly recipes to look forward to this year, as long as I can stick to this plan…..
What are your resolutions this year to help our planet?