Recently, I tried out a recipe for homemade lip balm that came out great. I started with a recipe I found here and tweaked it just a little to my own liking. It was really easy to make, no mess, and not time-consuming at all. The hardest part (as is the case with many of my recpies) was using up my old one so I had a container to refill.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons packed grated beeswax
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons honey(See edits at the bottom)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, I used my homemade vanilla extract, and it worked great
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil (Open up a vitamin supplement capsule of vitamin E and empty the liquid, or you can buy a jar of just the liquid vitamin E)
Grate the beeswax using the smallest holes on a cheese grater. You won’t need to grate any more than a 1-inch by 1-inch block. That would be more than plenty.
Just as a side note, it was a little difficult to clean our cheese grater afterward. I would recommend just having on hand another grater designated for non-food items. I’ve posted several recipes which require grated bars of soap and other things, so this might be a good investment.
Get a tin can from your recycling bin and pinch one side of it to make a pour spout. Put the grated beeswax in and place the can in a small saucepan of simmering water on the stove. When all the wax is melted, add in the coconut oil and olive oil and stir. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Pour the melted mixture into prepared containers, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
I only had 3 containers to refill, but I’d estimate this recipe might make about 10 wind-up containers. I bet you can order new lip balm containers online somewhere instead of saving up old ones, but I like the idea of not adding any more plastic to our landfills. If you do get new containers (or clean the old ones really well), these would make fantastic gifts. It smells wonderful and works great!
EDIT: I made another batch of this and poured it into clear containers, and it seemed the last container had an ingredient that didn’t solidify with the rest. It had sunk to the bottom and stayed a gooey liquid. It seemed like it was the honey that sunk to the bottom and didn’t mix in. I eliminated the honey in my next batch, but didn’t use clear containers, so it will be a while (until I get down to the bottom of my current chapstick container) before I can confirm whether eliminating the honey did the trick.
EDIT #2: I made this again in clear containers, and eliminating the honey did the trick. I don’t use honey anymore, just scratch it from the list of ingredients. It still smells nice because of the coconut oil, vanilla, and beeswax, and it doesn’t seem like it’s missing anything.
EDIT #3: Sister just called me with a little tip on making a tin can double boiler. If you use an emptied-out small can of olives, the can (with all the ingredients inside, she says) will float in the pan of water without needing to hold it and risk burning your fingers.